Wednesday 1 February 2012

Lincolnshire Windfarms poem in the February issue of Lincolnshire Pride magazine

1 Feb 2012. I haven't as yet seen it for myself as there are no copies of Lincolnshire Pride magazine in my local newsagents but I have been told that my poem is in there. I am still putting my thoughts together on the issue of the rapid expansion of windfarms all over the landscape of Lincolnshire. They get a mention in many of my landscape poems as they are now a feature of the landscape whether we like it or not.

An epoch of giant clocks
expand across the
sea and land

Swallowing nature
in their impatient spin
and rapacious span

A meadow of metal petals
are flowers in the wind
petal propellers spinned

A fleet of alien aircraft
have landed in a field of wheat


The noses of a squadron
of spitfires, all routed
to the ground have
nowhere to go,
their egg-shaped engines
sit in feathery clouds
high up in the sky
rolls of hay below

What do they lay ?
When do they sow ?

I tread lightly
as I return to track
from my windy trail
inside a windfarm gale

While a swarm
of swallows
swiftly swoop and sweep
nearby
as if reclaiming
back the sky

1 comment: